Creating a purchase order
To create a purchase order:
- Select Ordering>Purchase Orders. A list of purchase orders appears.
If you have a multi-warehouse operation, make sure you have selected the correct warehouse from the Warehouse drop-down up above.
- Select Add up above. The purchase order screen appears.
- The PO Date defaults to today's date. You can override this default date by picking a date with the calendar tool to the right of the PO Date field.
- Check Partial Receipt Allowed if you do not need the order to be received in full.
- The Ordered by defaults to the logged in user. You can override this default name by keying in a different one.
- Enter a Due date, Dept # and/or a Group #, if your operation requires these identifiers on POs. More information
- Optionally, enter a Priority for the purchase order.
- As applicable, enter an active Owner, Broker, and/or Carrier from your SmartTurn business affiliates.
Receipts you create from the purchase order inherit the Vendor, Owner, Broker, and Carrier you specify here. If, before the PO is received, your company SmartTurn administrator changes the status of one of the business affiliates you add to the PO to inactive, SmartTurn prevents the receipt from being saved until the business affiliate is re-activated, changed, or removed. See more information about how Business affiliate data follows inventory through transactions.
If you enter an Owner on the PO, then all of the other business affiliates on the document must have a Business Affiliate Owner that is either not set or is set to the Owner on the PO, and all of the purchase order items must have an item master Owner that is either not set or is set to the Owner on the PO.
- Under the Vendor tab, enter or select the vendor.
- To select from the list of vendors: Click the icon to launch the Vendor Lookup screen. You can enter a partial ID in the Name field and select Vendor Lookup. Once you've found the vendor, select the check box to the left.
- If the vendor is not in the system: You can add a vendor to your Business Affiliates by selecting , filling in the fields (required fields have an asterisk '*'), then selecting OK in the bottom left corner. The information you entered displays in the contact information fields on the Vendor tab. Once you have added a vendor record, you can view and edit it under Operations>Business Affiliates. See Updating Business Affiliate records. You can also enter the vendor name directly into the Vendor text box without adding it to the system, but it will not appear in the list of business affiliates.
If you add a vendor while you're creating a purchase order, the information you enter in the Add screen is the information that SmartTurn saves in your list of Business Affiliates. If you later edit the vendor information in the purchase order by overwriting the initial information you entered when you created the vendor, SmartTurn does not connect the newly entered information to the vendor in your Business Affiliates list. The new information stays on the purchase order, but the purchase order is the only place it appears.
- Enter other fields under the Vendor tab as needed.
- Under the Ship To tab, enter the company/warehouse the order is going to (required). Optionally, you can enter contact information and an address.
- Under the Comments tab, you can enter special instructions. The History tab shows any changes to the purchase order.
- If you have defined custom fields, enter the information under the Custom tab as needed. Default values are as defined under Administration>Custom Fields, in the Business Process Details section for each custom field.
- Down below, in the PO Items table, select Add PO Item. A Lookup Item Master screen appears.
- If you have selected a vendor for this PO, by default, you will only see those items for which that vendor is listed as the preferred vendor. If you want to view all the item masters, clear the Preferred Vendor field. If you have selectd an Owner for this PO, you will only see those items for which that owner is listed as the item master ower. You can also filter the list by Item #, Description, Product ID, or Group, or search for Stockout Items. See Item Master Lookup screen instructions.
- Select items from the list of item masters by selecting the check box to the left of each item, then selecting OK at the bottom. The items you selected appear in the PO Items table.
- Select a value from the Show Availability Data drop-down according to how much availability information to display for your items. Then click Search. See Item Master Lookup screen instructions.
- Under Ordered qty, select the quantity you want to order, as well as the unit of measure.
- Under Override unit cost, you can key in a modified cost for the item.
If you change the unit of measure, the Current unit cost will be updated to reflect the selected unit of measure when you save the purchase order. For example, if the unit cost of a key ring is $1.00/ea, and you change the unit of measure to cases, you will need to save the purchase order to see the Current unit cost adjusted to reflect the cost of a case. Whether you change the unit of measure or not, you can also key in an Override unit cost. This is the cost for the currently selected Ordered qty unit of measure. For example, if the $1.00 key rings are packed in cases of 24, the unit cost for the case might be lower than $24.00/cs, because of a quantity discount. Your changes take effect when you save the purchase order.
- Under Cube, Dim Wt, and Pallets, you can enter the volume, dimensional weight, and pallets ordered, respectively. By default, these values are taken from the item master record of the item you are ordering.
- If you edit only the Ordered qty, these measurements are updated on the line item based on your quantity edit, when you save the order. For example, if your Ordered qty is 2 cs and your Dim Wt is 2 lb, if you change your Ordered qty to 3 cs and save the order, the Dim Wt is automatically updated to 3 lb.
- If you edit only these measurements, or if you edit both the Ordered qty and these measurements, these measurements are updated exactly as you entered them, when you save the order. For example, if your Ordered qty is 2 cs and your Dim Wt is 2 lb, if you change your Ordered qty to 3 cs and your Dim Wt to 3.5 lb and save the order, then your Ordered qty is saved as 3 cs and your Dim Wt is saved as 3.5 lb.
- If you have defined custom fields, choose Edit PO Item to enter the fields. Default values are as defined under Administration>Custom Fields, in the Business Process Details section for each custom field.
- At the bottom of the screen, select Save if you are finished, or Save & Continue Editing to make further changes.
- It is good practice to choose Save & Continue Editing after you add items, before you start making edits to the lines.
- When you Save the purchase order, the View Purchase Order screen appears. From here, you can do the following:
- Return to the list of purchase orders by selecting Return To List.
- Cancel the purchase order, by selecting Cancel PO.
- Receive the purchase order, by selecting Receive.
- View purchase order item details by checking the item on the left, then selecting View PO Item.