Creating sales orders
To create a sales order:
- Select Ordering>Sales Orders. A list of sales orders appears.
- Select Add up above. The sales order screen appears.
- In the SO Date field, enter the sales order date.
- The Ordered by field lists the user who created the order. You can edit it if needed.
- In the Due date field, enter the date the order is due to the customer.
- Check Partial Shipment Allowed if the customer does not need the order to be shipped complete.
- Optionally, enter a Priority for the sales order.
- Enter an Owner, Broker, and/or Carrier, if applicable.
Shipments you create from the sales order inherit the Owner, Broker, and Carrier you specify here. If, before the SO is shipped, your company SmartTurn administrator changes the status of one of the business affiliates you add to the SO to inactive, SmartTurn prevents the shipment from being saved until the business affiliate is re-activated, changed, or removed. See more information about how Business affiliate data follows inventory through transactions.
If you enter an Owner on the SO, then all of the other business affiliates on the document must have a Business Affiliate Owner that is either not set or is set to the Owner on the SO, and all of the sales order items must have an item master Owner that is either not set or is set to the Owner on the SO.
- The Warehouse field specifies the warehouse that this sales order will be fulfilled from. The Warehouse field can only be changed if:
- Under the Ship To tab, enter or select the customer.
- To select from the list of customers: To the right of the Customer field, click the lookup icon to launch the Customer Lookup screen. You can enter a full or partial name in the Name field and select Customer Lookup. Once you've found the customer, select the check box to the left, and click OK. The customer you selected appears in the Sales Order form.
- If the customer is not in the system: You can add a customer to your business affiliates by selecting, filling in the fields (required fields have an asterisk '*'), then selecting OK in the bottom left corner. The information you entered displays in the contact information fields on the Ship To tab. Once you have added a customer record, you can view and edit it under Operations>Business Affiliates. See Updating Business Affiliate records. You can also enter the customer name directly into the Ship To text box without adding it to the system, but it will not appear in the list of business affiliates.
If you add a customer while you're creating a sales order, the information you enter in the Add screen is the information that SmartTurn saves in your list of business affiliates. If you later edit the customer information in the sales order by overwriting the initial information you entered when you created the customer, SmartTurn does not connect the newly entered information to the customer in your Business Affiliates list. The new information stays on the sales order, but the sales order is the only place it appears.
- Enter other fields under the Ship To tab as needed.
- Although the Customer has to be a valid Business Affiliate in the system, you can override the name of the customer by checking Override ship to customer and keying in the new name. For example, if the Customer business affiliate is Target, you might check the Override ship to customer and enter "Target - Store 824". This allows you to view reports based on the top-level business affiliate (Target), while addressing each shipment more precisely.
- Under the Bill To tab, if the billing address is the same as the ship to address, click Same as Ship To. Otherwise, enter the address for where the billing should be sent.
- Under the Comments tab, you can enter special instructions. The History tab shows any changes to the sales order.
- If you have defined custom fields, enter the information under the Custom tab as needed. Default values are as defined under Administration>Custom Fields, in the Business Process Details section for each custom field.
- Down below, in the Items table, click Add SO item. A Lookup Item Master screen appears.
- If you have selected a vendor for this SO, by default, you will only see those items for which that vendor is listed as the preferred vendor. If you want to view all the item masters, clear the Preferred Vendor field. If you have selectd an Owner for this SO, you will only see those items for which that owner is listed as the item master owner. You can also filter the list by Item #, Description, Product ID, Preferred Vendor, or Group, or search for Stockout Items. The items you selected appear in the Items table. See Item Master Lookup screen instructions.
- Select items from the list of item masters by selecting the check box to the left of each item, then selecting OK at the bottom. The items you selected appear in the SO Items table.
- Select a value from the Show Availability Data drop-down according to how much availability information to display for your items. Then click Search. See Item Master Lookup screen instructions.
- For each item, do the following:
- Under Requested ship date, indicate the date the item must be shipped.
- Under Ordered qty, select the quantity you want to order, as well as the unit of measure.
- Note that for items that are Serial Controlled and Serial Unique, you can only enter 1,000 per line. To order more of the item, create a second line. For items that are Outbound ID Controlled, the line will be automatically split at 1,000 per line when the shipment is created.
- Under Override unit price, you can key in a modified price for the item.
If you change the unit of measure, the Current unit price will be updated to reflect the selected unit of measure when you save the sales order. For example, if the unit price of a key ring is $1.00/ea, and you change the unit of measure to cases, you will need to save the sales order in order to see the Current unit price adjusted to reflect the price of a case. Whether you change the unit of measure or not, you can also key in an Override unit price. This is the price for the currently selected Ordered qty unit of measure. For example, if the $1.00 key rings are packed in cases of 24, the unit price for the case might be lower than $24.00/cs, because of a quantity discount. Your changes take effect when you save the sales order.
- Under Cube, Dim Wt, and Pallets, you can enter the volume, dimensional weight, and pallets ordered, respectively. By default, these values are taken from the item master record of the item you are ordering.
- If you edit only the Ordered qty, these measurements are updated on the line item based on your quantity edit, when you save the order. For example, if your Ordered qty is 2 cs and your Dim Wt is 2 lb, if you change your Ordered qty to 3 cs and save the order, the Dim Wt is automatically updated to 3 lb.
- If you edit only these measurements, or if you edit both the Ordered qty and these measurements, these measurements are updated exactly as you entered them, when you save the order. For example, if your Ordered qty is 2 cs and your Dim Wt is 2 lb, if you change your Ordered qty to 3 cs and your Dim Wt to 3.5 lb and save the order, then your Ordered qty is saved as 3 cs and your Dim Wt is saved as 3.5 lb.
- If your item master is marked Pick on item attributes, you can enter the Lot #, Serial #, License #, Expire Date, or Product ID, or values for any custom fields. More info...
- Only inventory items whose attributes match the values entered here will be used to fulfill your sales order.
- For Lot #, Serial #, Product ID, or custom fields of Type
Text, you can enter "wildcard" characters to specify possible matches. You can use "?" (question mark) to represent any single character and "*" (asterisk) to represent 1 or more characters. License #, Expire Date, and all other types of custom fields must be exact matches; you cannot use wildcards for these fields.
- If you have defined custom fields, choose Edit SO Item to enter the fields. Default values are as defined under Administration>Custom Fields, in the Business Process Details section for each custom field.
- At the bottom of the screen, select Save if you are finished, or Save & Continue Editing to make further changes.
- It is good practice to choose Save & Continue Editing after you add items, before you start making edits to the lines.
- When you Save the sales order, the View Sales Order screen appears.
- The Current Pick Policy is displayed. It is based on your Preferred pick policies and the Owner, Customer, and Warehouse for this order. See Managing preferred pick policies.
Check the box if you want to Override Current Policy and select an alternate policy from the drop-down list.
This Pick Policy drop-down list contains inventory managers that are marked "Use as pick policy." See Using inventory managers as pick policies.
- View sales order item details by checking the item on the left, then selecting View SO Item.