Importing shipment item data
If you already have an .xls file of all the items you're going to ship for an order, you can import that data directly into an express shipment. You can only import items to a new express shipment; SmartTurn does not support uploading shipment items to saved shipments, or to shipments from sales orders.
To import shipment data:
- Create an .xls file that includes the following column headers, exactly as specified:
- Item - For the Item # for the item master. For a list of item numbers set up in the system, look under Operations>Item Masters. You cannot include a shipment item in the import file unless there is already an item master for that item in the system. See Creating item masters.
- Quantity - For the quantity of the item that is being shipped. There must be enough quantity of the item in inventory for that item to import on the shipment.
- UOM - For the unit of measurement of the quantity being shipped. The UOM must match a valid abbreviation for a unit of measure set up for that item. (The UOM for the import doesn't necessarily have to be in the specified shipment unit, as long as the UOM is one of the units on the item's item master.)
Note: For each line item, each of these three columns must have a value, or else the system will throw an error.
Here's an example of how the file should look:
You can include more than these three columns in the spreadsheet, but these columns must exist. SmartTurn ignores additional columns, even if they match data fields in the shipment form.
- Open the express shipment screen by selecting Fulfillment>Pending Shipments, then clickingAdd up above. The Add Shipment screen appears.
- With the Add Shipment screen open, under the Shipment Items table (in the lower half of the screen), select Import.. on top. The Import screen appears, asking you to select the file you want to import.
- Select Browse.. to select the .xls file you created. Only .xls files are supported.
- Uncheck the Partial Shipment Allowed box if your customer won't allow partial shipments. This prevents uploading of the shipment information if inventory is not available for all items.
- Select Upload File. You will receive one of the following messages:
This means your file was read successfully. To complete the import, select Import Items.
This means one of the required columns (Item, Quantity, UOM) is ether missing, or the way the column header is spelled doesn't match the specified column headers, above.
This means one of the lines in the record is missing a value in one of the required columns (Item, Quantity, UOM). Check your spreadsheet to make sure there is a value for each of these 3 required fields for each line in your file, then repeat steps 1-6.
In this case some of your line items were valid and others were not. Each failed item will appear in the list with a description of the error.
You can either cancel the import and fix the lines with problems, then repeat steps 1-6, or select Import Items to only import those lines that are valid. You would then need to copy the invalid lines into a new spreadsheet, fix those lines, then repeat steps 1-6.
Note: If you have some errors, but want to keep all of the shipment items on one shipment, cancel out of the Import screen, and fix the errors before you import a partially correct list. This is because SmartTurn only allows one import per shipment. Alternatively, you could import a partially correct list, and then add the problematic lines manually, using Add... on the Add Shipment screen.
This means you need to check your Excel file for formula fields, merged cells, charts, macros, and formatting. If your Excel file contains any formula fields, merged cells, charts, macros or certain kinds of formatting, try removing this formatting and reload the file.
- If after selecting Upload File you receive no errors, select Import Items (if you have not already done so).
Note: If the items you would like to ship are not available, for example because you do not have the inventory on hand, or all of the existing inventory is allocated to other transactions, you will receive an error at this point.
- Once you have imported the shipment items, they will appear under Shipment Items in the express shipment form. From here you can modify the quantities and price as you would with any other shipment item.
Note: The inventory items are soft allocated to your shipment the next time you Save the shipment.