Receiving a purchase order
You can receive Purchase Orders by starting from either of two different screens in SmartTurn:
- Receiving>Receive Purchase Orders
- Ordering>Purchase Orders>View Purchase Order, then click the Receive button at the bottom of the page.
The resulting receipt is exactly the same. Both procedures are described below.
To receive a purchase order (from the Ordering section):
- Select Ordering>Purchase Orders.
- Highlight the purchase order you want to receive, then select View up above. The View purchase order screen appears.
- Select the Receive button at the bottom of the page. A Receive Against PO-nnn screen appears. Continue with steps 4-7, below.
To receive a purchase order (from the Receiving section):
- Select Receiving>Receive Purchase Orders.
- Highlight the purchase order you want to receive.
- From Receiving>Receive Purchase Orders, select Receive from the toolbar above. A Receive screen appears.
- Enter overall Receipt details in the top section:
- The Receipt Date defaults to today's date. You can change this as needed.
- Check the Use as item receipt date box if you want each item on the receipt to have the same Item receipt date as the date appearing in the Receipt Date field. (You can also edit each item on the receipt individually to assign an Item receipt date.)
- Notice that the receipt inherits the value for Priority from the purchase order, but that you can change it here, if necessary.
- Notice that the receipt inherits the values in the Vendor, Owner, Broker, and Carrier fields from the Purchase Order, but that you can change these here, if necessary. (For instance, if one of the business affiliates has become inactive between the time it was added to the PO and the time of the receipt, you will need to change it to an active business affiliate, re-activate the inactive business affiliate, or remove it before you can save the receipt.) See more information about how Business affiliate data follows inventory through transactions
If you enter an Owner on the receipt, then all of the other business affiliates on the document must have a Business Affiliate Owner that is either not set or is set to the Owner on the receipt, and all of the receipt items must have an item master Owner that is either not set or is set to the Owner on the receipt.
- If you have defined custom fields, enter the information under the Custom tab as needed. Default values are as defined under Administration>Custom Fields, in the Business Process Details section for each custom field.
- In the Receipt Details tab, enter the vendor's Shipment Reference code or number, Container #, Dock #, Bill of Lading, as applicable for your operation. Switch to the Comments tab to enter up to 200 characters of comments.
- Under Receipt Items, make any needed changes to the items:
- Edit the attributes of any receipt item: You can enter or change Lot #, Expire date, Serial #, Product ID, or Location for each receipt item. If you want to edit additional information, such as Item receipt date, Details, or Condition, check the receipt item on the left and select Edit... above.
- Items on the receipt that are Expiration Date Controlled cannot be received without an Expire date.
- Items on the receipt that have Serial Control set cannot be received without a Serial #. You may need to split the line if you want different items on this line to have different serial numbers. More info...
- If you defined custom fields, check the receipt item on the left and select Edit... above to enter the fields. Default values are as defined under Administration>Custom Fields, in the Business Process Details section for each custom field.
- Assign the same putaway Location to several items at once: Check the check box next to each item on this page that you would like to put into the same location. Select Put to Same Loc.... In the search screen, select the location. Then click OK.
- Change the putaway unit of any receipt item: By default, inventory items are putaway (stored) in their Standard Unit, which is set in the item master. (This may not be the unit of measure that the item is being received in.) Use the Putaway Unit drop-down to select the unit of measure the inventory item should be stored in. More info...
- Edit the measurements of any receipt item:
- Under Cube, Dim Wt, and Pallets, you can enter the volume, dimensional weight, and pallets being received, respectively. By default, these values are taken from the purchase order.
- Under Putaway Cube, Putaway Dim Wt, and Putaway Pallets, you can enter the volume, dimensional weight, and pallets being put away, respectively. By default, these values are based on the Putaway UoM and its measurements in the item master.
Most of the time, these two sets of measurements are identical. However, having two sets of measurements allows you to capture differences between the warehouse operation and the inventory item. For example, when you receive the item from your vendor, it may have a Cube of 3 cubic feet. But after you take off the protective packaging, it may only have a Putaway Cube of 2 cubic feet, and only take up 2 cubic feet in your warehouse.
- Add a receipt item not originally on the PO: Select Add... above the toolbar.
- Delete a receipt item: Check the item(s) on this page that you want to delete and select Delete above.
- Assign a license number to a receipt item
- Change the license number assigned to a receipt item
- Remove a license number from a receipt item
- Putaway items to the same location
- Split receipt items, or Split by Quantity
- Enter serial numbers for serial-controlled items
- When finished, select Receive to receive the items into inventory. A closed receipt appears.
Or, select Save or Save & Continue Editing to save the receipt and receive it later.
- It is good practice to choose Save & Continue Editing after you add items, before you start making edits to the lines.