Setting up business affiliates through an import
Depending on the size and condition of your existing business affiliate data, SmartTurn expects this process to take anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2 hours. The process involves extracting data from the system you are currently using to track business affiliates, re-arranging a copy of this data to conform to the SmartTurn import system, and importing.
If you are updating business affiliates that already exist in SmartTurn, see Updating business affiliates through an import.
To import your business affiliate data:
- Download a copy of the blank business affiliates import template.
If your goal is to update business affiliate Contacts, the main Business Affiliate import template imports only the Main Contact. If you want to create or update several business affiliate Contacts at a time, use the SmartTurn Business Affiliate Contacts Template at Resources and tips>Downloadable import templates. Note that you can update business affiliate Contacts with an import regardless of whether you imported the business affiliates themselves or added them directly through SmartTurn.
- Make an electronic copy of an existing spreadsheet of your business affiliate data. (It might be helpful to print this out so you can clearly see the names of the columns your existing spreadsheet uses. Many accounting packages have an export feature to facilitate this process.) If you do not have your data in electronic format, you may elect to use this spreadsheet for data entry, or enter data directly at Operations>Business Affiliates.
Tip: You can import one type of business affiliate at a time. For instance, you could start the import process with a spreadsheet list of just your customers, and then move on to vendors, etc.
- Open the import template. Look at the Business Affiliates Data tab. (It might also be helpful for you to print this out so you can clearly see the names of the columns SmartTurn uses.)
Tip: The column headers contain information. Click a column header cell in the Business Affiliates Data worksheet to see important information about values for the field, whether the field is required or optional, etc.
- Complete the Business Affiliates Data tab in the SmartTurn Spreadsheet. For each column header both worksheets Business Affiliates Data and Business Affiliate Addresses, match a column header in the existing spreadsheet containing your customer or vendor data. Notice that the column headers are different colors. The fields that correspond to the column headers are either optional or required. Click into the cell to see more information in a pop-up:
- Required fields are denoted by Red column headers. These fields must be completed whether you're importing customers or vendors.
- Conditionally required fields are denoted by Blue column headers. These fields must be completed if you choose to provide data for some optional fields.
- Optional fields are denoted by Black column headers.
Tip: Reconcile your column header names with SmartTurn. Make note of any differences between the column header names in your data and the column header names in the SmartTurn import spreadsheet. Also, make note of any extra or missing columns in your data set. Include all SmartTurn column headers in the import, exactly as in the SmartTurn spreadsheet.
Please note that you only use the Business Affiliate Addresses tab if you have addresses other than the Main Address to use for the Ship To, Ship From, Bill To, or Pay To addresses. The Main Address fields are on the Business Affiliate Data tab, and SmartTurn uses it by default for all of the Ship To, Ship From, Bill To, or Pay To addresses. If you do have additional addresses to use for Ship To, Ship From, Bill To, or Pay To, you sync up the two worksheets by making sure that any business affiliate listed on the Business Affiliate Addresses tab is also listed on the Business Affiliate Data tab. In the case where you are creating all new business affiliate data, the Action column for both worksheets should contain "CREATE". See more information about what is required by clicking into the column headers in the template, reading through the field definitions, and reading through the update instructions.
- When the spreadsheet is complete, save the .xls file to your computer. Then close it, and open up SmartTurn.
Tip: You can rename the entire .xls file as you like. For instance, you might want to add a date, and the type of business affiliate it contains: E.g. your file name could be "/help/Customers_for_SmartTurn_2007_12_10.xls"
- Go to Operations>Business Affiliates. The Business Affiliates screen appears.
- Click Import on the toolbar at the top of the list. An Import screen appears, prompting you to locate the file on your computer. Follow the prompts, and identify the template you are importing.
- Click Upload. A message appears at the top of the Import screen. The message indicates whether the file data is formatted correctly, or whether SmartTurn has detected errors in the data.
- If SmartTurn determines that the data in the file is formatted correctly, the screen displays a message: "The upload file contains all valid rows."
If this is the case, continue with the import by clicking Import. When your import is complete, the Import screen closes and the business affiliates list refreshes. Continue to step 9.
- If SmartTurn detects errors, the screen displays a warning: "The uploaded file contains some invalid rows. Click Import to import valid rows. Invalid rows will NOT be imported."
If this is the case, look below the buttons in the Import screen. SmartTurn lists the specific errors by the spreadsheet row number.
To correct errors:
- Leave the Import screen open for reference, or copy the error statements and paste them into a text document for reference.
- Locate your import file on your computer. Open it up, correct the errors, save, and repeat steps 6-8.
- Review your data in the Business Affiliates list at Operations>Business Affiliates, and on the individual detail pages, as necessary.