Updating item masters through an import
Updating item master records in SmartTurn is very similar to creating item master records, but with some subtle differences. You can make note of these points to successfully use the SmartTurn Item Masters Template to update item master records that already exist in SmartTurn.
Please read these instructions prior to updating so that you understand what is required during the update process, and how it is different from importing the data for the first time. The key concepts to remember for updating are:
- You must already have item master records in SmartTurn in order to make updates using the spreadsheet. When you update item master records in SmartTurn, you will be modifying data that already exists in SmartTurn. For instance, if you import a template containing updates for item masters that don't currently exist in SmartTurn, the update will fail.
- If you are changing the warehouse data for a record of an existing item master, key in "UPDATE" on both the Item Master Data record and the Warehouse Item Data cells. This is because the processor always looks at the Item Master Data tab first, to see which items it is updating. Then, based on the items tagged for update in the Item Master Data worksheet, it looks for corresponding items in the Warehouse Item Data tab.
- If you are creating new units of measure for your existing item master, use "CREATE" in the Units of Measure Data cells. If you are updating existing units of measure for your existing item master, use "UPDATE" in the Units of Measure Data cells. In either case, the Item # from the row in the Units of Measure Data worksheet must have an associated row in the Item Master Data worksheet, with the same Item #, and with "UPDATE" in the Action column.
- The Action column contains "UPDATE" for all records you are updating. More info...
- Be careful about leaving blank cells in updates. More info...
For Step-by-step instructions on how to import item masters, see Setting up item masters through an import.