Setting up locations through an import
Depending on the size and condition of your existing location data, SmartTurn expects this process to take anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2 hours. The process involves extracting data from the system you are currently using to track locations, re-arranging a copy of this data to conform to the SmartTurn import system, and importing.
If you are updating locations that already exist in SmartTurn, see Updating locations through an import.
Before you start, there are two important things to know:
- Warehouses must be set up in SmartTurn before you can import locations. Since locations are specific to warehouses, location imports will fail if they don't belong to specific warehouses. See Adding a warehouse.
- SmartTurn allows only one import at time per warehouse for locations. Locations are specific to a warehouse in your operation. If you have multiple warehouses, you can import locations for one warehouse at a time. In other words, you can put all locations for one warehouse on one location template. However, you can not combine locations from two or more warehouses on one location template.
To import your location data:
- Download the Locations import template.
The import template (SmartTurn_Locations_Template.xls) contains detailed instructions on the Instructions tab. It also contains instructions tailored for when you are making updates to locations, as opposed to creating them for the first time.
- Make an electronic copy of an existing spreadsheet of your location data. (It might be helpful to print this out so you can clearly see the names of the columns your existing spreadsheet uses.) If you do not have your data in electronic format, you may elect to use this spreadsheet for data entry, or enter data directly into SmartTurn at Administration>Locations.
- Open the import template. Look at the Locations worksheet. (It might also be helpful for you to print this out so you can clearly see the names of the columns SmartTurn uses.)
Tip: The column headers contain information. Click a column header cell in the Locations worksheet tab to see important information about values for the field, whether the field is required or optional, etc.
- Complete the Locations worksheet in the SmartTurn_Locations_Template.xls spreadsheet. For each column header in the Locations worksheet, match a column header in the existing spreadsheet containing your location data. Notice that the column headers are different colors. The fields that correspond to the column headers are either optional or required. Click into the cell to see more information in a pop-up:
- Required fields are denoted by Red column headers. These fields must be completed whether you're importing customers or vendors.
- Read-only fields are denoted by Blue column headers. Leave these fields blank. (The import will ignore any data you enter.)
- Optional fields are denoted by Black column headers. You may leave these fields blank, but leaving them blank enters the default state for this field. Click into the column header for more information on the default state for that column.
- If you have questions about what data you can put into a field, there are detailed field descriptions in the Instructions tab of the template.
Tip: Reconcile your column header names with SmartTurn. Make note of any differences between the column header names in your data and the column header names in the SmartTurn import spreadsheet. Also, make note of any extra or missing columns in your data set. Include all SmartTurn column headers in the import, exactly as in the SmartTurn spreadsheet.
- Save the .xls. file to your computer. Then close it, and open up SmartTurn.
Tip: You can rename the entire .xls file as you like. For instance, you can add a date, and the name of the warehouse this file has locations for: Eg. your file name could be "Locations for Field Street Warehouse 2007-12-10.xls"
- Log in to SmartTurn.
- Go to My Account up above. In the Warehouse field at the top, select the warehouse for which you are importing locations. (You can change this as needed for each import.) Make sure you are not in the
All warehouse context. If the Warehouse drop-down in the grey area at the top of the screen says, "
All warehouses," select a single warehouse from the drop-down.
- If it is not a complete list, add any warehouses that you need to add. See Adding a warehouse.
- Go to Administration>Locations. A list of your locations appears.
- Click Import on the toolbar at the top of the list. An Import screen appears, prompting you to locate the file on your computer.
- Follow the prompts, and identify the template you are importing.
- Click Upload. A message appears at the top of the Import screen. The message indicates whether the file data is formatted correctly, or whether SmartTurn has detected errors in the data.
- If SmartTurn determines that the data in the file is formatted correctly, the screen displays a message: "The upload file contains all valid rows."
If this is the case, continue with the import by selecting Import. When your import is complete, the screen closes and the locations list refreshes. Continue to step 12.
- If SmartTurn detects errors, the screen displays a warning: "The uploaded file contains some invalid rows. Click Import to import valid rows. Invalid rows will NOT be imported."
If this is the case, look below the buttons in the Import screen. SmartTurn lists the specific errors by the spreadsheet row number.
To correct errors:
- Leave the Import screen open for reference, or copy the error statements and paste them into a text document for reference.
- Locate your import file on your computer. Open it up, correct the errors, save, and repeat steps 6-11.
- Review your data in the Locations list at Administration>Locations, and on the individual detail pages, as necessary.