Example pick ticket template: by zone
Suppose your operation uses zone picking.
In zone picking, you are picking all of the required goods for many orders, but you want all of the goods stored in the first zone to be picked by the first picker, all of the goods stored in the second zone to be picked by the second picker, etc. Usually you use zone picking if you have multiple pickers that can pick more rapidly or efficiently if they stay in one zone. This may be because of the mix of items you keep in each zone, or simply due to the familiarity and expertise the pickers have from working in the same area.
Zone picking requires that your Locations are named with the zone name as a prefix. For example, Locations of: Zone01-Area001, Zone01-Area002, Zone02-AreaA, Zone02-AreaB. (Learn more about adding and editing locations.)
When you have different zones, you need to create one pick ticket template for each zone. Then, you need to create pick tickets from your pick plan several times, one for each template / zone.
To create a pick ticket template for zone picking:
- Select Wave Fulfillment>Pick Ticket Templates. Select Add from the toolbar above the list. (See more details on Creating pick ticket templates.)
- In the Edit Filtering. In the Filter page, select the items from this zone: Check the checkbox next to Location, select section, select
matches, and enter 'ZoneName*'. For example, you could filter by Location
All filters allow you to enter "wildcard" characters to specify possible matches. You can use "?" (question mark) to represent any single character and "*" (asterisk) to represent 1 or more characters.
Using an Items Filtering for the zone name is the key that facilitates zone picking.
- The other sections are optional when you are creating a pick ticket template for zone picking.
- Optionally, use the Hazardous to this section. section to logically classify your pick tickets. All fields listed in this section have a 'break on change' property: all of the items are sorted based on this field, and each time the value of this field changes a new pick ticket is created. All of the pick tickets made with this pick ticket template will be for the same zone. But for example, if you want to make sure that hazardous and non-hazardous goods are never on the same pick ticket, even though they are sometimes stored in the same warehouse zone, you would add
- Optionally, add an . Adding a sorting here orders the items before they are divided into pick tickets.
- Optionally, enter a Capacity Sort of Dim Wt and a Capacity Constraint of Dim Wt 50 lbs.. This may be useful if you know that your pickers can only handle so many goods at once. For example, if each picker can handle 50 lbs, enter a
- Optionally, enter the # of Pick Tickets per Wave. Leaving this field empty means the system will create pick tickets for all of the items in this zone. Entering a number in this field means the system will only create that many pick tickets. You can create additional pick tickets from the pick plan, using this same pick ticket template, at a later time.
- Optionally, enter a Location so that the picker travels through the zone in an ordered way. If you keep more than one item in each location, you could also sort by Item #, or on other fields of the item. You can add as many sortings as you like. to sort all of the lines within each pick ticket. All of the pick ticket lines will be for the same zone. However, you may want to sort on
- Select OK to save your changes.
- Repeat Steps 1 to 4 for each different zone. Change the details of the Items Filtering section as needed based on the name of the zone.