Printing to labels
Sometimes, you need to print information about your transactions, such as shipments or receipts, or about your items, directly on to labels.
If you have a label printer, you can use SmartTurn to print labels that include information from your receipts, receipt items, inventory items, shipments, or shipment items. Additionally, if you have your own copy of label design software, you can create your own label templates or designs, upload them to SmartTurn, and then print labels using your SmartTurn data and these templates. SmartTurn supports the NiceLabel family of label design software (.lbl files).
Configuring label printing is done in the Operations section of SmartTurn.
To configure label printing from SmartTurn:
- Set up your label printers in SmartTurn.
- Optionally, note which are the preferred label printers to use in different situations. For example, you may have one label printer in your receiving area and a different one in your shipping area.
- Make sure the label templates you need to use are available. SmartTurn provides a small number of label templates. If you have a NiceLabel label design application, you can create and upload your own label templates.
- Optionally, configure policies to automatically determine the label templates to use in different situations. For example, you may have one shipping label when you ship to one customer and a different shipping label when you ship to another customer.
Printing labels is done from the view page, if you are printing from a document, or from the items list page, if you are printing labels for individual items.
The first time you come to a page from which you can print labels, you are prompted to download a small .jar component. This component enables communication between SmartTurn and your local printer.
Depending on your browser security settings, your browser may present a security dialog during the downloading of the .jar component. The dialog will say that the Name of the .jar is "
NLWAXForm" and it is From "
app.smartturn.com". Check the box Always trust content from this publisher and select Run. Your browser may also present a second security dialog during the downloading of the .jar componet. The dialog will say that the Name of the .jar is "
NLWAXForm" and it is requesting access to the printer. Check the box Always allow this applet access to the printer and select OK.
To print labels from SmartTurn:
- Select the page with the information you want on your labels:
- For a shipment, select Fulfillment>View Shipments>View Shipment #: SI-nnnn.
- For shipment items, select Fulfillment>Shipment Items List. Filter the list to just those items for which you want to print labels.
- For a receipt, select Receiving>View Receipts>View Receipt #: RCPT-nnnn.
- For receipt items, select Fulfillment>Receipt Items List. Filter the list to just those items for which you want to print labels.
- For inventory items, select Reports>Inventory by Item. Filter the list to just those items for which you want to print labels.
- From the appropriate page, select Print Label by Policy to have your label template and printer selected automatically. Or, select Print Label to choose which label to use.
If you select Print Label by Policy, SmartTurn uses your label policies and preferred label printers to automatically print the label(s) immediately. A confirmation message appears indicating that the labels have been sent to the printer.
If you select Print Label, the Print Label pop-up appears. In the pop-up:
- Select the Label Template (.lbl file) to use from the drop-down.
- Enter the # of Copies.
- Select the Label Printer to use from the drop-down.
- Select OK to print the labels. A confirmation message appears indicating that the labels have been sent to the printer.