Creating shipments from sales orders in batch
When you ship a sales order, you create a record of all items from the sales order that are being shipped, along with the ship to and ship from addresses. In addition to creating shipments from Sales Orders one at a time, by selecting the Sales Order from either the Ordering>Sales Orders screen or the Fulfillment>Ship Sales Orders screen, you can also create shipments from sales orders in batch. This means that many shipments from many sales orders are created at once. However, you still need to individually process each shipment in order to ship it out.
Note on batch operations: SmartTurn provides two different options for creating shipments from sales orders in batch. Both options are accessed from Fulfillment>Batch Ship Sales Orders. Both options allow you to search for the sales orders you want to ship. Batch Create Shipments creates and saves shipments for all of the chosen sales orders. You still need to process the shipments and ship them one at a time. Batch Ship creates and ships shipments for all of the chosen sales orders. You do not need to process the shipments individually, but you cannot edit individual shipments. All of the shipments are closed immediately.
To create shipments from a batch of sales orders:
- Select Fulfillment>Batch Ship Sales Orders. A list of sales orders displays in the Search Results tab.
- Under the Search Results tab, use the options to search for the sales orders for which you want to create shipments. Fill in SO #, Ship to customer, Owner, Carrier, Status, External #, Date created, Due date, and/or Priority. Select Search.
The Search function in this screen looks at all the sales orders in the selected Warehouse. This process is similar to filtering a list. However, you can filter by several fields at the same time.
- The Search Results tab displays the results of your search. Check the checkbox next to each sales order that you want to create shipments for, and select Add to Action to add that sales order to the Action tab.
- You can search several times, using different filtering options, and continue using the Add to Action toolbar button to add sales orders to the Action tab.
- When you have added all the sales orders that you want, select the Action tab. Here you can see the list of all the sales orders that you have added.
- If you need to remove any sales orders, check the checkbox next to that sales order and select Remove.
- To create shipments for all of the sales orders listed in the Action tab, select Batch Create Shipments from the bottom of the page.
- Selecting Batch Create Shipments and leaving the Override SO Pick Policies selector empty creates all of the shipments using the pick policies listed on the respective sales orders.
- You can override the pick policies listed on the individual sales orders by using the Override SO Pick Policies selector. From the Available box, highlight the pick policy you want and use the arrows to move it to the Selected box. You can also use the arrows to change the order of the pick policies within the Selected box. You can add as many pick policies as you like to the Selected box.
For each sales order, SmartTurn creates a single shipment for as much of the sales order as possible using the first pick policy listed in the Selected box of the Override SO Pick Policies selector. If the sales order is not completely fulfilled using this first pick policy, SmartTurn creates a second shipment using the next pick policy listed in the Selected box. This process continues until either the sales order is shipped completely or there are no more pick policies in the Selected box. Then SmartTurn begins again with the next sales order in the batch.
Note that a sales order is created only if it is either marked Partial Shipment Allowed, or it can be completely shipped using a single pick policy. (In other words, sales orders that are not marked Partial Shipment Allowed must be completely shipped in one shipment, using one pick policy.)
- A confirmation screen appears with information about the shipments that have been created and saved. You can find these shipments under Fulfillment>Pending Shipments, and process them from there. All shipments are created with inventory already soft allocated, in other words, all shipments that are created through the Batch Create Shipments process are guaranteed to be shippable.
The confirmation screen also contains the errors from any sales orders that were not completely put onto shipments.
All of the created shipments, and all of the sales orders that the shipments are fulfilling, are assigned the same Wave #.